Dear Families of Warsaw Montessori School, Elementary Campus,
Welcome to our school! We look forward to working closely with you as a partner in your child’s education.
Warsaw Montessori School was founded with the dream of providing a loving and supportive atmosphere where children can learn and explore the world around them. Our school has a dedicated, nurturing, and highly trained staff in the Montessori curriculum and in progressive methods of child development.
The Montessori educational philosophy believes that this educational method, to be effective, must support and address the nature of the child. The nature of the child is not a theoretical construct, but based upon Montessori's detailed observation of the child.
Based upon her observations Montessori came to understand the inner nature of the child:
- The child is a dynamic, curious person that has an inner need to know the world. The Montessori classroom has a multitude of fascinating materials from which to select.
- The child comes to know the world through the senses. Consequently, experiences that develop and refine the sense are fundamental to knowing the world. The curriculum area of sensorial in the Montessori classroom aids the child in the development and refinement of the senses and the many manipulative materials in the classroom allows the child to explore and learn.
- The child auto-educated. Essentially, the child constructs knowledge through physically manipulating the environment.
- The child is orderly and focused. The Montessori classroom is calm, respectful and peaceful. This atmosphere meets the child's inner need for an atmosphere that supports concentration. The Montessori classroom is orderly and encourages the child to maintain an orderly environment.
The elementary program offers a continuum built on the preschool experience. The environment reflects a new stage of development and offers the following:
- Integration of the arts, sciences, geography, history, and language that evokes the native imagination and abstraction of the elementary child.
- Presentation of the formal scientific language of zoology, botany, anthropology, geography, geology, etc., exposing the child to accurate, organized information and respecting the child's intelligence and interests.
- The use of timelines, pictures, charts, and other visual aids to provide a linguistic and visual overview of the first principles of each discipline.
- Presentation of knowledge as part of a large-scale narrative that unfolds the origins of the earth, life, human communities, and modern history, always in the context of the wholeness of life.
- A mathematics curriculum presented with concrete materials that simultaneously reveal arithmetic, geometric, and algebraic correlations.
- Emphasis on open-ended research and in-depth study using primary and secondary sources (no textbooks or worksheets) as well as other materials.
Montessori-trained adults are "enlightened generalists" (teachers who are able to integrate the teaching of all subjects, not as isolated disciplines, but as part of a whole intellectual tradition).
Studies are integrated not only in terms of subject matter but in terms of moral learning as well, resulting in appreciation and respect for life, moral empathy, and a fundamental belief in progress, the contribution of the individual, the universality of the human condition, and the meaning of true justice.
Keeping this philosophy in mind, we’ve created a school to do as much.
On behalf of the administration, faculty, and support staff of Warsaw Montessori School we welcome you and know your experiences with our schools will be joyful, productive, and memorable.